Alchemy brings you an in-depth weekend childbirth preparation course ALCHEMY OF CHILDBIRTH based on our Alchemy of New Life principles.
We believe that in approaching childbirth as a transitional process we can meet you where you are and give you the tools to work your way through, lean into the process and prepare mentally, physically and emotionally for your childbirth. We also know that your time is precious. Not everyone is able to plan a 6 week course to attend with their (birthing)partner. But still, you want to experience an in-depth course. This is why we have created a unique weekend course ALCHEMY OF CHILDBIRTH. Our course takes place in a beautiful location, with an intimate setting, two teachers, and working with small groups where there is space for your individual process. This course is designed especially to cover the topics above and give you an overview of where the alchemy of childbirth takes place. At the same time we want to give you practical tools and walk with you through a process of learning and integrating. We pay attention to check in with you on weekend day #1 (Saturday) and use this in crafting the second weekend day (Sunday). In this way we make sure that the course meets your needs and expectations.
Topics that will be covered
- The birthing system in the Netherland
- Childbirth physiology
- The birth of a family
- Postpartum as the fourth trimester
- The course is set up in 2 sessions with a total of 9 hours of learning
- Saturday 18:00 – 20:00 and Sunday 10:30 – 17:30
- You are welcome to bring your birthing companion, loved one or family member to this course and partake in it together
- Cost: €350 (incl. btw – per couple)
- Location: YogaZenter, Derde Oosterparkstraat 86, Amsterdam
- Upcoming course dates: June 25 & 26
- For more questions please check out our FAQ page
More information on the topics covered in Alchemy of Childbirth
- Pregnancy: we start off with where you are: pregnant. We discuss the physiology of pregnancy, movement and self exploration. How are you feeling? What are your needs at this moment whilst you are pregnant?
- The Birthing System in the Netherlands: How does the Dutch healthcare system work? In what ways does it differ from other places? How can you navigate it? What are some of the social and cultural perspectives on childbirth that are particular to the Netherlands? What do we see on television and in films? What conversations and stories do we read in newspapers and glossy magazines? What are some perspectives and expectations about giving birth in the Netherlands that you bring along?
- Childbirth Physiology: a transformative experience. What happens when and why? We will go through the birth phases, pain relief techniques, postures and movement, (medical) interventions and explore consent based decision making and what it means to do so with autonomy.
- The Birth of a Family: the shift from partner to parent. Childbirth signals a change in family dynamics. Actually, multiple changes and finding ways to navigate these: finding ways of asking for support, of giving support, of nurturing healthy relationships, of managing your household with an (extra) baby. Childbirth is not just the birth of the baby, it is also the birth of a (new) family.
- Postpartum as the fourth trimester: Sometimes referred to as the forgotten trimester, as it is little talked about, but actually still very much connected to the transition that is childbirth. We will talk about the ‘kraamtijd’ a.k.a. postpartum-time, go through Duch Kraamzorg and other options, talk about breastfeeding and baby feeding, look at the qualities of the placenta, and into old and new ceremonies and rituals. But also: what food and other support can we give and receive? How important is rest? And how can you deal with all the feelings that might come up after childbirth and integrate them into your new life?